Passport processing is offered at two locations:

  • Location 1: (No Appointment necessary)

Richard O. Watson Judicial Center, 4010 Lewis Speedway, St. Augustine, Florida.

Passport Processing Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM. (No passports are processed after 4:00 PM)

Telephone:  (904) 819-3632.     Email:

  • Location 2: (By Appointment Only)

Julington Creek Annex, 725 Flora Branch Blvd., St. Johns, Florida

Passport Processing Hours: Tuesday and Thursday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM

To make appointment: (904) 819-3632

The Passports division receives passport applications, reviews, and certifies new passport applications, and sends them to the Passport Agency for issuance.

Points of interest:

  • Anyone, including infants, traveling to a foreign country will need a passport.
  • Every applicant MUST appear in person, regardless of age (even minor children).
  • You should apply for a passport several months before you actually need it. If you will need visas from foreign embassies, you will need to allow even more time.
  • A passport, on the average, will take a minimum of six (6) weeks from the time the Federal Passport Agency receives the completed application. The passport will be mailed directly from the Federal Passport Agencies located throughout the continental United States to the address you provide. Expedited service is available for an additional fee plus overnight delivery charges.
  • As of January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling BY AIR between the United States, Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport book, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document, or an Alien Registration Card, Form I-551, if applicable
  • Please note: Location 1 – No Passport applications are processed after 4:00 p.m.  Passport applicants should expect longer wait times between the hours of 12 p.m. and 2 p.m. as these are the office’s busiest times.

More information is available from the U.S. Department of State’s website: (The U.S. Dept. of State only accepts checks or money orders.)

Requirements For A Passport  – Form DS-11

For Application and Instruction –

You Must Apply in Person If:

  • You are applying for your first U.S. passport; or
  • You are under age 16; or
  • Your previous U.S. passport was issued when you were under age 16; or
  • Your previous U.S. passport was lost, stolen, or damaged; or
  • Your previous U.S. passport was issued more than 15 years ago; or
  • Your name has changed since your U.S. passport was issued and you are unable to legally document your name change.

Please note:  There are Special Requirements for

  1. Proof of U.S. Citizenship with any one of the following:
  • Previous U.S. Passport
  • Certified birth certificate issued by the city, county or state
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
  • Naturalization Certificate
  • Certificate of Citizenship

If you are unable to provide any one of the above, you may possibly still be able to obtain a passport. However, this requires additional documentation to prove your citizenship. You should call the Clerk’s Office at (904)819-3632 for specific instructions regarding your particular situation or, go to for other options.

PLEASE NOTE: Whichever of the above listed documents you do provide to obtain your passport, will be mailed to the U.S. Department of State with your passport application. You may wish to make a copy to keep with you until your original document is mailed back to you with your passport.

  1. Proof of Identity with any one of the following:
  • Previous U.S. Passport
  • Naturalization Certificate
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Current, valid
    • Driver’s License
    • Government I.D.: city, state or federal
    • Military I.D.: military and dependents
    • Permanent Resident Card

A Social Security card, Voter Registration Card or Military Discharge papers are not acceptable proof of your identity.


  • If you cannot submit primary identification, please use a combination of Secondary Identification.
  • If you apply at an Acceptance Facility and submit out-of-state primary identification, you must present an additional ID document, as well. For example, if you apply in Maryland with a Virginia Driver’s License, you must present a second ID containing as much of the following information as possible: your photo, full name, date of birth and the document issuance date.
  • If you have undergone or are going through gender transition, please see these additional requirements at
  1. One Passport Photo

One passport photo, 2X2 inches in size, taken within the past 6 months showing current appearance are required. The photo must be in color and must meet the legal specifications including a white or off white background, full face, front view between one inch and 13/8 inches from bottom of chin to the top of the head, taken in normal street attire.

As of November 1, 2016, Passport photos of customers wearing eye glasses will not be accepted except under special conditions.

Photo may be purchased at the Clerk’s office for a fee of $10.65 (includes tax).  Photo fee is optional; you may bring your own passport photo as long as it meets US State Department requirements.

  1. Social Security Number

A social security number is required for all passport applications, regardless of the age of the applicant.

  1. Unsigned DS-11 Passport Application

You may obtain a passport or renewal application at any one of the Clerk’s Office locations or you can download a passport application from Many travel agents also stock applications for their clients. DO NOT sign the DS-11 Application until instructed to do so.

  1. Payment

You will need 2 separate forms of payment. A check or money order made payable to the U.S. Department of State and a separate payment payable to the Clerk of Court is required for each passport application processed.

The U.S. Dept. of State only accepts checks or money orders.

Location 1 – Judicial Center accepts Clerk’s processing fee in the form of cash, check or charge.

Location 2 – Julington Creek Annex accepts Clerk’s payment processing fee in the form of check or charge. (No cash is accepted at this location)

Fees are determined by Federal laws and Florida Statutes. Refer to Passport Fee Schedule.

Passport For Minor under Age 16

Valid For: 5 years

Must apply in person on Form DS-11

Passport applications for minors under age 16 must be submitted in person . The minor must be present. Both parents or guardians should appear with the minor. If both parents/guardians cannot be present, see parental consent for additional document requirements

Minors under age 16 cannot apply for a passport by themselves.

Both parents/guardians must appear in person with the minor and provide consent, authorizing passport issuance to the minor. If one parent/guardian is unable to appear in person, then the DS-11 application must be accompanied by a signed, notarized Form DS-3053: Statement of Consent from the non-applying parent/guardian.

If the minor only has one parent/guardian, evidence of sole authority to apply for the minor must be submitted with the application

For special circumstances, please go to

Passport for Minor Ages 16 and 17

Valid For: 10 years

Must apply in person on Form DS-11

A parent can identify a minor that does not have his or her own identification

Parental Consent

Minors ages 16-17 with their own identification can apply for a passport by themselves; however, it is recommended that at least one parent appear in person with the minor to identify him/her and to show parental awareness.

Parental Awareness

  • Having a parent accompany the minor when applying,
  • Listing a parent as the Emergency Contact on the application,
  • Using a parent’s check to pay the passport fees, or
  • A signed statement consenting to issuance of a passport from at least one parent (should be accompanied by a photocopy of that parent’s ID).


For Application and Instruction –

You must renew by mail if:

  • Your U.S. passport is undamaged and can be submitted with your application
  • Your U.S. Passport was issued when you were age 16 or older
  • Your U.S. passport was issued within the last 15 years
  • Your U.S. passport was issued in your current name or you can legally document your name change

If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you must Apply in Person.

Name Changes:
Passport Services no longer amends currently valid passports. Instead, customers are issued replacement passports. Please see the PASSPORT CORRECTIONS/CHANGES CHART, which is available on the U.S. Department of State’s website,, to determine the specific procedure to follow depending on the type of change or correction.

Pending Passports:
Once an application for a passport has been made, the Clerk forwards the paperwork to a Federal Passport Agency. You may check a pending passport online at or call the National Passport Information Center (NPIC) at 1 (877) 487-2778 (toll-free). TDD users call 1 (888) 874-7793. NPIC customer service representatives are available Monday – Friday, 8a.m to 8 p.m. Automated information is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Lost or Stolen Passports:
You must report your valid passport lost or stolen immediately. Complete the “Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport, Form DS-64.” In order to obtain a new passport you must appear in person at the Clerk’s Office or at a federal passport agency with both the DS-64 and a completed, unsigned “Application for Passport, Form DS-11.”

Lost or Stolen forms are available online at If you choose not to apply for a new passport, complete DS-64 and mail to:

U.S. Department of State, Passport Services Consular Lost/Stolen Passport Section 1111 19th Street NW, Suite 500 Washington, D.C. 20036

*DO NOT mail your new passport application to this address. You must appear in person for a new passport.

Passports Applications:
You may obtain a passport or renewal application at the Clerk’s Office or you can download a Passport Application from Many travel agents also stock applications for their clients.

How Long Passports Are Valid

Adults (16 years of age and older) – Ten (10) years Children (15 years and younger) – Five (5) years

Passport Processing – Time Requirements

Please consult for the most up-to-date processing times.

Expedited processing: 2-3 weeks Regular processing: 6 weeks

To check the status of your Passport Application:

  • Call 1-877-487-2778 from 6:00a.m. – Midnight EST, Monday through Friday (excluding federal holidays), or
  • Check online at

Customers Traveling Within Four Weeks

  • If you are traveling within 14 calendar days, you must make an appointment at the nearest Passport Agency by calling the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778.
  • If you are traveling within 2-3 weeks, you must request and pay for expedited service plus two-way overnight delivery service. For current expedited service fees, see Passport Fees & Costs.

If you are traveling within 3-4 weeks, the Department of State strongly recommends that you request and pay for Expedited Service. For current expedited service fees, see Passport Fees & Costs